Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Gem State

By Ryan Johnston

Too far away, and so unclear
It’s hard to believe
It was ever, even there
But these scars I can’t see
Remind me of everything 
I wish I could just forget

Laid to rest when you left town
These words still sleep underground
At night, I dig around
And resurrect the alphabet, with my pen
But some things are best
Left alone, and dead

And our eyes would meet, in between
The oxygen, that I found hard to breathe
We could have landed so many different ways
I guess on our feet, won’t be one of them

And these unholy lines
These plain white sheets
A body of words, buried underneath
Everything that I conveyed
I tried so hard just to bring you, to me
As I fill in the blanks, I can only guess
To what you really meant, if anything
I’m just not sure what to throw away 
Or what to keep

Exhuming the decaying remains
Of everything we used to be
When all we ever had is gone, and dead
It only leaves more mystery
To what lived inside your head
Embalming the memories
Prolongs the misery
All you love, that you won’t see again
And it just wont rest in peace

You traded truth for air
And a semester spent 
In the Gem State, with former friends
I’d rather choke to death
On diamond coated razor blades
Than live through that again

And our eyes would meet, in between
The oxygen, that I found hard to breathe
You land in me so many different ways
Now we’re burning to death
I guess we overshot the runway

You’re the queen of hearts, 
Princess to the stars
In the kingdom of the clouds, 
They made you into a golden harp
You play on demand, truth in every verse
But I am still humming the tune
Of the sweetest lies my ears have ever heard

And how are things, in your new town?
How is my old best friend?
Did he walk on water?
Turn coal into diamond rings?
Or did he fall off his beanstalk?
In a tragic accident
Chasing after things he’ll never understand
I would rather choke to death
On the ashes of this end
Than burn this way again

No comments:

Post a Comment